Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Chronoscope in Swing and Servlet environments

After pushing out the open source release of Chronoscope, I finally went back to work on Timelord, which is our all-purpose GWT application for exploring our time series database, data mining, annotating visualizations, and tons more. Hopefully I can get it patched up to show something at the Pearson GWT Conference

Anyway, when data mining, Timelord shows icons to the user of interesting patterns which are server-side generated Chronoscope charts. The intense refactoring for the open source release broke the server-side implementation, so I spent most of yesterday and today, re-merging in and fixing the Java2D Canvas implementation layer.

I just finished getting a prototype up and running, and decided to put up a demo of Chronoscope running as an Applet (it's alittle beefy to download at the moment, I was able to pack200 it down to 120kbytes, but haven't gotten the webserver reconfigured yet to serve pack200 files.) This brings to 4 the number of environments the Chronoscope codebase can exist in: Browser-based Javascript, Swing desktop applications and Applets, Servlet-generators, and the Google Android phone SDK.

After the GWT Conference, I'll push to get a Flash implementation done, in which case, you'll have the choice of generating charts via Canvas, Applet, Flash, or Server. That will leave only J2ME as the final target to crack.

I'll commit the Java2D layer after the conference and things settle down. We've been working on Timepedia slowly for years now, and I'm anxious to start showing some of the real site, so I want to get Chronoscope development stabilized soon. (code-freeze)

-Ray

No comments: